Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 521 ~ Keeping Tradition Alive


Plimoth Plantation
When I was little (60s, 70s and even in the 80s) Halloween showed up in stores at the beginning of October each year... there were even neigborhood bar-be-ques (block parties) for Labor and Memorial Day. When Thanksgiving would come around, it was about being with family, very subtle at that... and Christmas/Holiday decor would go up the night of Thanksgiving.

2012... 
Halloween showed up while I was shopping for school supplies at the end of August... Thanksgiving is given a shelf or two ;) if at all! Except for Hobby Lobby where they really give us Thanksgiving! They have a beautiful collection for sale all of October through November.  {and} Christmas ... well with all it's decor and glory, including Christmas movies being shown on television, "Christmas" items showed up on shelves the moment Halloween did!


I guess the point I am trying to make is that the way holidays are being drawn out has been driven by the retailers.  After all do they ask us when we want the sales?  No.  As time has gone by they have stretched the dates more and more.  It is more about numbers than tradition to them.

As far as my childhood holiday traditions I acquired...  Those are my traditions and if they are that important to me, It is up to pass them on... I do not HAVE to follow the retailer's lead.

I am thankful for tradition!

[here's to you finding your... ]

Peace...


I am second..
... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  

Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Took It... Making It... Living It... My Life .  © 2012  U.S Copyright Laws apply.

No comments: