Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 245 ~ 10 Things To Grab / An After Thought

Isn't always? ... An after thought...  It's always an after thought.

I don't know about you... but after I think about a conversation I had or something I said, or something I needed to respond to someone or something (filling out a form) ... OR as in the case of the last two posts I wrote ... 

There are many things I could have included on my list of 25 Things You Do Not Know About Me or on my post of the top 10 Things I Can't Live Without.  

However... when I wrote the two posts I wanted to list things about me or that I can't live without, without much thought.  I wanted to write down the things that "first" popped into my mind.  Which,  as another after thought...  was perfect.  

Why?  You ask... Well, when having to make split moment decisions... it's all off the cuff.  Meaning, you do not think of everything.  When my family home caught on fire, in the middle of the night, when I was in 10th grade...  (true story- another story, for another time.)

Well everything was woulda, coulda, shoulda.  When I told my friends what happened to me over Christmas break... all my friends afterwards were saying "if it was my house on fire... I woulda grabbed my pictures..." ... "I coulda grabbed all my clothes..."  and all I responded with was well ... "I shoulda called you!"  wink, wink - that was an "after thought".

No, but seriously... when things are happening, ie my family home catching on fire, you do not have time to think about all that stuff... you just act to survive, and forget everything else.

Having said all that... maybe this is a good time to put all important papers, birth certificates, marriage license, passports, social security cards, deeds, insurance, titles, etc in a separate file box (the hand carrying kind), and then making a list of items to grab in case of an emergency.

Now... don't bury the "list" in another file... either A. place it in the front of said file box (or tape it to the front of the box) ... OR B. pin it or tack it to the wall or bulletin board near your computer or laptop, where ever you do most your work at home - somewhere you will always see it.  

Most times, we never think "something" will happen to "us" or we believe that we would never allow that to happen to "my family" ... Well I am here to tell you that anything is possible, good or bad.  You never know... You never know what tomorrow will bring.

Why not be prepared?  ...   My new top 10 Things I Need In Case of an Emergency...
  1. My Bible
  2. My Laptop, cell phone and chargers
  3. My ToolBox
  4. My File Box - all important papers 
  5. Pictures, old family non digitized pictures
  6. Dogs, my pets - including leashes
  7. Prescription medicines, supplements, etc, including dog meds. 
  8. My daughter's important things - anything comforting, like her baby doll, some books (she needs to have an emergency back pack ready at all times)
  9. Dean's important things, including his guitar(s) -  he too needs his own emergency back pack.  
  10. Hard copy of all family and friend's numbers and addresses - in case there's no power available to re-charge my phone or laptop.
So... next to the Top 10 Things I can't Live without, my new list has changed drastically.  It all seems to come down to whether it is a "want" or a "need."  or rather what will I need if I have nothing available to me or my family.

How does your list change?  What would you grab in case you need to leave your home, or even in case of a disaster?  
When we have 'second thoughts' about something, our first thoughts don't seem like thoughts at all - just feelings.   ~ Sydney J Harris

Blessings to all!!

120 days / 17 weeks to go...

PS... Sons, I love and miss you.  To the moon and stars above and back.  You are my sunshine(s).

Images courtesy of Bing images.   ©

No comments: