Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 449 ~ What "We" Did Do... {WWYD II}

Please read Day 448 for part one...

What we did ~

My husband Dean one day was driving down the road and spotted something in the middle of a busy Culver City intersection.  (YES middle of the intersection!  Overland and Washington)  He pulled his truck over, parked it and checked out what it is... it turned out to be a wallet, filled with credit cards, a payroll check and $120 cash. 

Once he got home, we found a business card in the wallet and called it.  All I have to say that BOY OH BOY was this young man happy!!  There was a little over $1,000 in the wallet if you want to count the payroll check!  {and} never mind about all the credit cards, a haven for any thief!  

He was so happy to hear that Dean was calling him about his wallet, intact with all its contents.  He and his family invited us in as we arrived with wallet in hand.  The only thing Dean {and I} accepted as a reward was a cold beer and some good conversation! 

One of the many reasons I love my husband... his integrity.

What we did ~

Tuesday morning (yes, just a couple of days ago) I was standing by the school fence waiting for Calley to get out.  Before I knew it, a [long] line of cars had formed for the after-school curb-side service {where the teacher brings the child to each parent in their car.}  Out of nowhere, I see a car pull up.  Before I could say anything to the other moms, the woman proceeded to park her car "in front" of all the other cars that had been waiting upwards of fifteen minutes.  Yes parents, myself included, start arriving that early for pick-up.

I really could not believe my eyes.  I turned to the other mom that I was talking to and she couldn't believe her eyes either.

This is where age comes in-  after a certain point you really do not care what others think and only think of what is fair, honest and just.  

Funny... I took another look around and everyone was in disbelief, yet no one was getting out of their cars to approach her.

There I went... I saw that she had Mexican license plates on her car, which explains a lot (another story).  

In Spanish I proceeded to say to her, "Excuse me madam..."  

She turns to me, "Yes?"

I continued, "I wanted to point out to you that this is the beginning of the car line, the end of the line is back there," as I pointed a ways from where we were standing.

Funny thing, I was given a response in such a tone as if she was clueless and was just born yesterday and knew nothing about "lines."  Bare in mind that she had to drive by all the cars in line before she pulled over.  Her response, "Oh, I'm sorry." and pulled away.

I was really nice about it, I promise.  But as I returned to my post, lol, all the parents that were in line started applauding me.

I mean really?  Doesn't anyone say anything anymore?  When we are kids we have no problem telling someone they just "cut" in front of us.  Now as adults no one says anything and it's all mayhem!

As long as I am in a safe environment, I'd do it again.

What we did ~

I was with Calley at Target a few weeks ago.  We were pushing our cart behind a young lady, and she's walking behind a couple who were walking in such a way that they took up the entire width of the aisle.  We were all trying to get somewhere, but no one could get by.  The couple was walking, then would stop, then go, and then walk slow off and on.  The distance between each of us lessened more and more due to the couple in front walking as if they were the only ones in the store.  I have never pushed my cart sooo slow, even Calley was wondering what was the hold up.

Next thing the young lady must have accidently bumped into the man (what did you expect? I mean really!... the couple kept stopping and going) and she immediately starts apologizing profusely.  The man starts yelling at the young lady for bumping into him and accuses her of doing it twice.  [I could not disbelieve what I was seeing, Calley couldn't either- "mommy, why is that mean man yelling at that nice lady?]  The young lady apologizes again, so sweetly.  Next thing the woman, who is walking with this man, starts yelling as if the young lady hadn't said a word.  "Don't you know "she" works at Target and can do whatever she wants.  They have no manners here..."  This woman gets louder and louder and continues to repeat herself over and over.  You and your daughter, along with others, witness this couple's rant and rage an entire five minutes.

SO here I go... "Excuse me.. but I think the both of you have said enough for the entire store to hear!"

The crazy woman... "Mine your own beeswax!  This does not concern you!"

I'm thinking "bees wax" really.. these people were older than me!  LOL!  I replied, "This is where you are mistaken. You made it my business when my daughter asks why the mean people are yelling. You are being ridiculous.  It was an accident, she apologized and that's it.  I saw the entire thing!"

Mind you the crazy woman, had continued to tell me "mine-ya... mine-ya."  I guess that meant to mine my own business.  She made it my business!

The Target employee turned to me afterwards and thanked me.  I said that they must be having a very bad life even though there was NO excuse for their behavior and asked her to pay it forward.


What would you do?

Seriously, what would you do?  Do you keep to yourself?  Do you say something?  Do you look the other way?  

My closing thoughts in tomorrow's post.  to be continued...
Do to others as you would have them do to you.  ~Luke 6:31
[here's to you finding your... ]

Peace...


I am second..

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Took It... Making It... Living It... My Life .  © 2012  U.S Copyright Laws apply.

16 comments:

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Nice going on all counts . . . the verse you quoted will always bring you to a good choice.

Karen Dawkins said...

Wow! Great job, Carla. Getting brave and setting a strong example for your daughter on integrity! :)

The one I struggle with is if or how to help the mom with screaming children in the grocery store. My heart longs to offer help, but I don't want to embarrass her. OR suggest that she is parenting poorly. At the same time, I've been there, done that. Would I have appreciated the help? Or even the offer? Or would I have died of mortification? Thoughts??

Unknown said...

It's amazing how all these unexpected occurrences come out of nowhere everyday in our lives. But it's important how we respond to these, in God's faith. Awesome way to face the realities of our everyday lives.

ReviewsSheRote said...

I think on all accounts I would have reacted much like you did. Some-times people think its NOT your business but when they are making such a fuss and its got children asking questions IT DOES BECOME our business---Every action has a REACTION and if they wanted people to butt out they shouldn't make a public spectal of themselves.

Unknown said...

@Karen... oooh my dear that is a tough one. I too have always wanted to help... at least give the mom a hug and tell her that it happens to me too... but who knows how she'll react.. I don't know how I myself would react.. Hopefully not wanting to spank her as well. lol! KIDDING! With God's grace...

Anonymous said...

I think I would have asked the woman how old she really was! Beeswax?? Mineya??? Sounds like a two year old to me. I stand behind what I said yesterday only I think I would have had to beat THIS woman with her own arm!

Unknown said...

What would I do if I didn't have any fear. I'm thinking exactly what I am doing- speaking and writing because without the confidence of Christ I could do neither. Fear would win for sure.

Unknown said...

@Jacqueline.. YOU GO GIRL!! lol!! Although I would have loved to, I needed to be a good example to my daughter. :) @Shannon... God bless you!! Amen! I could not agree with you more! With God's grace...

Unknown said...

Great job setting a solid example of right and wrong, Carla! I hate conflict so I know I would have avoided the line issue all together. :)

mail4rosey said...

You're a gem, Carla. :)

Unknown said...

Great stories Carla. I too have no qualms speaking my mind now. It's as if once I turned forty I feel I have a voice and I'm not afraid to use it!!!! So glad you spoke up in both accounts. And that young guy must have been so happy to have his wallet returned, what a great deed!!! xo

Anna Garcia said...

Wow ! Your Husband Did A Wonderful Thing ! Thank Goodness Their's Still Wonderful People Left In This World :)

Joy said...

I can only hope I would do the same when it comes to standing up for people. I do not hesitate at all at the wallet incident, but the others I have to be honest, I worry about safety (perhaps it's the cops kid in me). But get me when I'm pregnant, and LOOK OUT, everything goes out the window and the cheetah in me shines through! :-)

Hezzi-D said...

Way to go! I find the older I get the more I speak up. I notice other people ignoring the situations but often times I feel as though I have to speak up.

Unknown said...

I commented on the first part of this one and I never thought they all happened in reality, to you. Never thought people could be so mean as that, like in the third case. But, kudos to you for doing awesome!

Gina Jacobs Thomas said...

How courageous of you to stand up to injustice and do the right thing. And how marvelous for your children to see you doing that as well, a good life lesson learned. I think it's a vital skill to learn how to speak up for yourself and for others.