Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 422 ~ #14 of My 30 Days of Truth


Okay... so it's back to reality.  The Blog Hop is still going on, but that won't stop me from continuing my writing.  I will share about my experience in a couple of weeks, once this challenge is over. 

My 30 Days of Truth challenge   I will admit that I changed one question and changed a few curse words... other than that the challenge is intact. 

Day 14:  Write a letter to a hero that has let you down.

Okay... this is the biggest beef I have as far as heroes go.
Dear Owners of Professional Sports Teams (MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL and any others I may have forgotten):
As a child I was able to enjoy some of your sporting events.  My father was a single parent and managed to take his three children and himself to every Los Angeles Kings home games from 1973 to 1980, as well as a handful of Los Angeles Dodger games.
Quite frankly I do not know how he did it.
Now... I am a mom and have three children myself, two of which are in their early twenties.  I have NEVER been able to afford to take my children to any of your events!  {and} I work too, an honest living at that.
WHAT HAVE YOU ALL DONE?!?!
I know that professional athletes work hard and have a God given talent... HOWEVER... I don't know whether to blame their agents (greedy) or you all... BUT YOU HAVE NOW MADE IT TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the majority of us to enjoy a good old fashion LIVE sporting event.
Professional athletes are being paid in the millions!  {and} to offset and be able to make money yourselves... well between tickets to the event(s), parking, snacks, and not to mention the souvenirs you shove down our throats by placing them every five feet .... well... in order to have a semi-good time a family of four can't get to enjoy a LIVE sport for under $400 - $500 easy... or without mortgaging our homes!
Do we go on a family vacation or should we go see a game?  HA!  
Quite frankly I feel this is so out of control... especially when you think back to greats as Bobby Orr, Wilt Chamberlain, Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Mike Ditka or even Joe Namath never made anything remotely close or equivalent to what the athletes are making now-a-days.  {and} let me tell you athletes today have not held a candle to any of these greats!  
You may argue that these athletes can not be compared to the ones back in the day.  {and} Yes I will give you this one... after all athletes today are on so many synthetic "boosts" and are not natural compared to the athletes of days gone by.
{and} Don't even get me started on their behavior off the field/court/ice!  These people are role models to our children whether they like it or not!  They are affecting the minds and souls of our youth.  
With that said HIGHER penalties, suspensions and expulsions should be imposed- after all they do make millions! 
Forever a mom first, fan second... 
Carla.
OH MY GOODNESS!  That felt so good!  I can't tell you how long it's been that I have wanted to let them have a piece of my mind. tehehehe.

By the way.. I know that professional team sports' owners aren't heroes, but our children think their employees are.
Man, if I made one million dollars I would come in at six in the morning, sweep the stands, wash the uniforms, clean out the office, manage the team and play the games.  ~Duke Snider
My high salary for one season was forty-six thousand dollars and a Cadillac.  ~Duke Snider

Where I've been and where I'm going next...  

Day 02 : Something you love about yourself.
Day 03 : Something you have to forgive yourself for.
Day 04 : Something you have to forgive someone for.
Day 05 : Something you hope to do in your life.
Day 06 : Something you hope you never have to do. 
Day 07 : Someone who has made your life worth living for.
Day 08 : Someone who made your life hell, or treated you horribly.
Day 09 : Someone you didn't want to let go, but just drifted.
Day 10 : Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.
Day 11 : Something people seem to compliment you the most on.
Day 12 : Something you never get compliments on.
Day 13 : Write a letter to a band or artist that has gotten you through some tough days. 
Day 14 : Write a letter to a hero that has let you down. 
Day 15 : Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you've tried living without it.
Day 16 : Someone or something you definitely could live without.
Day 17 : A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.
Day 18 : Your views on gay marriage.
Day 19 : What do you think of religion?  Or what do you think of politics?
Day 20 : Your views on drugs and alcohol.
Day 21 : (scenario) Your best friend is in a car accident and you two got into a fight an hour before. What do you do?
Day 22 : Something you wish you hadn’t done in your life.
Day 23 : Something you wish you had done in your life.
Day 24 : Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you chose all the songs. (Just post the titles and artists and letter)
Day 25 : The reason you believe you’re still alive today.
Day 26 : Have you ever thought about giving up on life? If so, when and why?
Day 27 : What’s the best thing going for you right now?
Day 28 : Name a decision you made that caused a chain of events that would not have happened if it wasn't for that decision.
Day 29 : Something you hope to change about yourself. And why.
Day 30 : A letter to yourself, tell yourself EVERYTHING you love about yourself
Hey if you want to join along... well let me know in a comment and I'll visit your challenge each day.  We could even link up our blogs.  wink, wink.  No.. seriously we could.

Here's to 30 Days of Truth!

I am second.

[here's to you finding your... ]

Peace...


... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  

Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Took It... Making It... Living It... My Life .  © 2012  U.S Copyright Laws apply.

10 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting! I think I'll write these down in my journal...something I need to work on! Enjoy your day and thanks for hosting at Favorite things!

Anna Garcia said...

I Know how you feel. My Father Took Me To Dodger Games as a Kid . I Loved The Time I Had With My Father. I Love The Dodgers , But I Have To Watch The Games At Home, Because Subtitute Teacher is Very Slow. What I like to do is enter contests. I've Won a Suite at dodger stadium, tickets to the dodgers and lakers. When you see a contest on their site , enter. Anna

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I used to go to games when I was little and it wasn't expensive at all. Sometime around the 90's when the games went global.... we all got screwed which is a shame because baseball is no longer the all American sport, clean and wholesome... Shame on the major leagues. Hooray for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm having such a mommy brain moment and a massive anxiety attack that the last comment didn't appear. I thought that was an amazing letter that I really wish you'd send because really..... It's too expensive to go see a bunch of overpaid under educated men run around the field with their egos unchecked. Bravo to you for saying what we all wish we did.

Audra Michelle said...

AMEN! The Hubs and I really want to take the whole family to a Pirates game. Thankfully, since they are a small market team tickets are somewhat affordable. However, it still would cost us $100 for the "cheap seats" tickets plus parking and food. Add in the fact that at least one of us would be walking around with the little boys pretty much at all times.... I keep hearing that the athletes need to be paid more since they will not be able to play until normal retirement age. WELL... don't even get me started on money management or the opportunity to work after retiring from sports! Sure, advertising revenue brings in big bucks. This competition between teams to buy the top players and out spend each other makes me sick!

I guess you brought out the rant in me too! :)

Hezzi-D said...

Great letter-I get so frustrated with the insane prices of going to see a professional game. Not everyone makes the money the players do.

Debbie said...

OH how I agree! Baseball has lost the magic from the olden days. it is ridiculous how they price these things and yes, what average family can do that all the time. Great Letter!

Dominique Goh said...

That seems like a really interesting challenge. It really crazy the prices of the tickets to such an event. It works out cheaper to enjoy it at home then go to the stadium with the family.

mail4rosey said...

Oh my gosh, some professional athletes really do make a lot of, lot of, lot of money. And teachers don't... lol. Not the only comparison that stinks, but a big one nonetheless, and the one I always think of when I hear about athletic salaries.

I am guilty of watching sporting events (and really enjoying them) though. That prolly wont' change soon, but I do think they're overpaid.

Unknown said...

They're going to end up pricing everyone out, aren't they? It is a shame. Betina and I happened to win tickets to a baseball game, right above the dugout, and I was so disappointed in how the players treat their fans. These people must have paid a fortune to be there, and when they call out to the players, like "great job", the players don't even acknowledge them. There was only 1 guy who actually waved up to the crowd after they cheered him. It was pretty pathetic!