Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 115 ~ Don"t Judge, Don't Give Up!

I was catching up with friends on facebook part of the day today... Reading what everyone had to say and what they were up to.  A birthday here, a date there, wedding, hockey games...

Every so often I like to comment on my friend's walls or status updates, put my two cents in if you will.  Just a quick way to "pop-in", say hello and let them know I am thinking of them.

Quite often I laugh, other times I may cry or at least get a tear in my eye at the latest and greatest news on there.  Every so often someone posts something thought provoking...
It's hard to explain to someone who has no clue.  It's a daily struggle being in pain or feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside.  Please put this as your status for at least 1 hour if you or someone  you know has an invisible illness (PTSD, Anxiety, Bipolar, Depression, Diabetes, LUPUS, Fibromyalgia, MS, ME, Arthritis, Cancer, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Autism, MD, etc..)  "Never judge what you don't understand."

Wow!  Did I say thought provoking?  Having been someone who has struggled with depression on and off most of my life, I could not agree with this statement more!  This is so on the money, they hit the nail on the head!!

I can't tell you the times that a friend has caught me on a bad day... they're in a great mood. life as usual... and me, well I can't snap out of it.

I can't tell you how many friends I have lost, or rather they stopped calling and inviting me places.  I guess a person can hear "Not today, I can't."   It's not like I can stop and snap out of it to explain... "I'm sorry, I am depressed today and can't go out and play."  OR  "My sons haven't called me....I am sad..."

I can't tell you how many times I have been invited to functions, parties, dinners, lunches or just to hang out, and I have declined.  Or better yet, I have committed to going and then at the last minute I have cancelled out and not shown up. 

Most of us are so quick to judge someone else just by a mere action or something said... myself included.  I am not innocent here by any means... especially when they just finished cutting me off on the road.

Instead of judging a book by its cover, read the back cover... ask questions... don't be so quick to judge or lay blame.  You never know you may learn something not only about the other person, but maybe about yourself as well.

The next time you're on the road, look at all the other cars on the road.  Now think of everything you have going on in your life and your history... then look back to those cars, to their passengers... they have lives and history too.

If you ever call a friend or a family member, and the phone rings and rings... you think something is out of wack... don't give up on your friend... ask questions... be there for them... make them laugh... make us laugh!  


Depression is nourished by a lifetime of ungrieved and unforgiven hurt.  ~  Penelope Sweet

Good humor is a tonic for mind and body. It is the best antidote for anxiety and depression. It is a business asset. It attracts and keeps friends. It lightens human burdens. It is the direct route to serenity and contentment.    ~  Grenville Kleiser

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  ~e.e. cummings 


To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but at what he aspires to.      ~ Kahlil Gibran




Blessings to all!!


250 days to go...



All contents herein are protected under Copyright laws and can not be used, altered or copied. All accounts herein are written by Cali-Gal/Carla B Karam and are true accounts of her life. Some names may be changed to protect the innocent.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Nice post Carla. At some point in our lives we all hit a low. You know your friends when you hit that low. Good on ya for taking back your life. Have an awesome day. sending love and hugs your way.