Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 371 ~ {Life's} Choices


Have you ever caught yourself thinking {or saying} ... "if I only knew _20_ {fill in number of years here- wink, wink} years ago what I know today..."   

We've all made choices in our lives, which directly or indirectly brought us to where we sit today.  

It's true. 

Think about it.

I'm not saying that 20 years ago I made the decision to live in Texas today - actually I would've thought you were nuts if you would have told me that back then.

What I am saying is that one decision led to another... which then led to another... then another... and so on... until ... here I am!  wink, wink.
As babies, choices are made for us... however, there comes a day when we start making our own choices...  that would have been the ideal time to have been told what I know today.  ;)

Boy!  Wouldn't that have been nice?  All the heartache I could have avoided...  Not that I would change much... I would just be smart about it all.  All the great choices I could have made... I guess that's where all the would of, could of, should of(s) come in.

NO!  That's looking back... I choose to only look forward and only look to the past for lessons learned.
As I have written over and over again...  I have learned a lot this year.  I mean I really got it!  Life is a choice.  Even your attitude is a choice.  Let me tell you that it's not easy either.

It takes "work" having a happy life.  Yes, you heard me right.  Another thing I have learned.

As a survivor of depression it is very easy for me to fall.  For me, when I am at a crossroads of sorts, I have learned that it is easy to fall into old habits.  (habits = being sad, negative, tired, unproductive... etc...}
So ... I have two choices ... withdraw into old habits ... OR ... focus on the positive and leave the rest to God.

choose the latter.

The work in all of this is looking for the positive... oh I know... it isn't always easy... HOWEVER (and that's a BIG however- lol) I already know what the former gets me ... and I do not like it.  I do not like being miserable or unhappy... SO DONE WITH IT!  

After all... we only get one chance at this thing called life.  Right?

{and} With that said ... 

choose to be happy the rest of my life. 

The choices I will make from here on, will be made with the premise that one day they will all equal something really promising for me and my family... and that my dear is... love and happiness.  


The following quotes are from Dr. Shad Helmstetter’s book titled Choices”. 
You may think that in life, a lot of things happen to you along the way. The truth is, in life, you happen to a lot of things along the way.  ~unknown author
The choices we make by accident are just as important as the choices we make by design.  ~unknown author
Another person’s choice is nothing more than another alternative for you to consider.  ~unknown author 

[here's to you finding your... ]

Peace...


... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Taking Back My Life ~ Making It My Own.  U.S Copyright laws apply.  © 2012

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving this post! I have made so many choices in my life, both good and interesting, and I swear if I hadn't made the bad ones I wouldn't have been put in the place to make the good ones!! Awesome reminder Carla!
Oh I have always wanted to ask you.... Is your husband Lebanese??

CrazyNutsMom said...

I think the choices/decision we made in the past, make us the person we are. And if you look back, you should do the same things again, or you would be a different you...and not have the same life experiences (if that makes any sense).

Kim said...

Great post! I think we all fall every once in a while. I think it can be harder for some of us to pick outselves up after too. And you are right, we need to choose to get up and continue making the right choices that will lead us forward. Inspiring post! Here from vB!
Kim
My Twintastic Life

Mrs. Settles said...

Well said! Every day presents us with new choices, most of which how we CHOOSE to react.

I love your new look :)

Blessings,
Marcia

Pepper said...

I know I've made a lot of lousy decisions in my life, but what's done is done. I'd like to think that- as the Desiderata says- "the universe is unfolding as it should..."

As you said, we have to keep moving forward. It's the only way to go, right?