Friday, September 14, 2012

Day 464 ~ Is Perfection Overrated?

I am a perfectionist.  I have known this for quite sometime. Since I was very young, that's for sure.  When I had a party... well everything had to be perfect down to the napkins.  This started at a very young age.  wink, wink.

As I became an adult... the week leading up to an event, be it a dinner party, birthday party, shower, lunch, tea party, you name it... it had to flow.

I would plan down to the minute as to the time I have to pick up a cake, food, balloons or flowers, what day I would clean, when I would set everything up, shower, hair and make-up.  

Everything needed to go according to plan.

Oh and never mind if something wasn't ready- according to plan... that would not be good.

Forget Martha Stewart... it's Carla Barila! 

Honestly, it would get a little stressful to say the least... but the end result would be worth it.

Well... that was some time ago.  I have turned a new leaf since.

Oh I still entertain... BIG time!  I will even take over for my in-laws when they entertain and handle things for them... 

However, I have a different way of putting it all together, a different mind set if you will.

Oh I still will plan everything down to the minute, wink, wink- and I do still want everything to be perfect and just right... but that's where it stops.

I don't worry... I do not stress... I do not concern myself..

Everything that happens after the planning stage... well it is what it is.

What I mean is that I accept anything that comes my way or in my way and shrug it off.  Down to the guest list.  Meaning if 15 people RSVP to my event and only 3 show up... maybe there was a day that this may have bothered me... that was then.

Last night I held my first Food Lover's/Bible Study meeting and I was expecting around 15 guests, cooked for 15 guests... but only three people showed up.

I was so fine with it... it did not stress me out one bit.

My evening went as it should have.  Those who wanted to be here, were here.  That's all that mattered.  {and} me... well I was perfectly fine with it.  100% fine.  After all it was God's will.
"If a person wants to be a part of your life [or a part of your party/event,] they will make an obvious effort to do so..." ~unknown author
[here's to you finding your... ]

Peace... 


I am second..

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  

Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Took It... Making It... Living It... My Life .  © 2012  U.S Copyright Laws apply.

5 comments:

Dustykatt said...

It's great that you're outlook on this is under control. Good for you! :)

Pepper said...

I have to start turning over a new leaf myself. I'm an expert at worrying over the littlest detail when it comes to planning for events. Yes, I should just sometimes learn to let go. That's where the fun starts, right?

Unknown said...

I totally get the over stressing part of planning. I tend to be a bit of control freak. good for you for letting it go

Unknown said...

Attitude makes all the difference. I am not a perfectionist by any means, (except when it comes to my work--but the schedule? the house? the laundry? Nah) but I do tend to get irritated about things, and I'm learning to find my peace. If not for my sake, but for my kids' sake. God bless you, Carla!

Susan said...

I've always been like this too Carla. It's tough not to be super hard on yourself when you are trying to make everything go just so. Some great advice!
And you must be italian??