Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 473 ~ Saying Good-Bye to a {Four-Legged} Family Member

Lola came into our lives April of 2002.  


Our dog Kelly had been in {near} seclusion for two months, which meant no play dates, after being hit by a car.  Kelly had to have hip surgery, and lost an eye.

Seeing that Kelly was not her playful self in quite sometime, Dean and I decided to get her a sister.  A permanent play date/mate if you will.  We rescued Lola from the animal shelter, as we did Kelly.

As we approached a kennel, we immediately saw her.  She was the sweetest looking dog.  As she approached us, another dog in the same kennel came along and bullied her into a corner.  Immediately we wanted to save her.

Fast-forward to today... Lola has not been doing well for almost two months.  After her appetite seemed to diminish and she would not even eat roast beef, we took her to the vet.

After x-rays, blood work, exams and the opinion of two vets {and $500 later}... there's nothing we can do.  Nothing was found in the x-rays or blood-work... however, a mass was felt around her kidneys.  Cancer?  We'll never know.  She has lost too much muscle mass, weight and the fact that she won't eat- surgery is out of the question.

As a family we gather... we reminisce... we look at pictures... we laugh... we tell stories... we cry.

We wait for the moment... for the look... where she will tell us how much she loves us... where she tells us good bye.

We are sad.  

However... 

We know that we have given her a wonderful life and when she does leave us...

We know that she will be going to a wonderful place... doggie heaven.

Where she will find rivers filled with milk... with biscuits everywhere... balls galore... and toys here and there.  

Best thing of all she will be reunited with all our other family fur-babies... Ranger, Hannah, Max, Alex, One, Blondie and Mikey...

An Homage to Lola ~

Lola and Kelly


Lola welcoming Pepper to the family


Kelly, Lola and Pepper


Lola, Kelly and Pepper


The girls taking over the sofa.


Dean & my engagement photo shoot;
including our girls in a few of the pictures 
Venice Beach, California

Lola- striking a pose


Mar Vista, California 
Our girls LOVE the park!
Venice Beach, California



Pepper, Kelly, Lola and a ball.


Lola got "the" ball.


Lola welcomes and tolerates Calley.
Calley growing up with Lola.



Lola welcomes Shelby to the family.

Lola tolerates Shelby (can you see it in her face?), along with Pepper and Kelly-
all taking over our bed!



Lola
 We are so blessed you chose us. 
We are so honored to have been your family.
We are so much better for loving you. 
~Dean, Carla and Calley Karam

Thank you for being such a wonderful sister. ~Kelly

Sorry we fought, but so happy we made up.  I love you. ~Pepper

Thank you for teaching me the ropes and for letting me snuggle with you. ~Shelby

[here's to you finding your... ]

Peace...


I am second..

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  

Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Took It... Making It... Living It... My Life .  © 2012  U.S Copyright Laws apply.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine having to go through with this with my two little furbabies..... Losing a four legged friend is so traumatic, especially when she has grown up with your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, and Lola!

Lisa Gradess Weinstein said...

Carla - (sniff) (sob) I am so sorry for your loss.
Lisa

Theresa Mahoney said...

I am so sorry for your loss! It is so difficult to lose a family member. My husband just reminded me that it will be 2 years next Sunday since we lost one of our little joys. Thank you for rescuing her and giving her a wonderful life!

mail4rosey said...

I'm sorry for your news, Carla. :(

Mommys Juice said...

You brought tears to my eyes. Our dog is as much a member of our family as the boys and it is so hard to loose a family member. God Bless!

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Awww I'm sorry for your sad news. The second to last picture really made me smile. Lola has the "Give me a break. Mom get her off me" look on her face. (((hugs)))

Unknown said...

I have not had to do this... yet. My first dog that I adopted when I was about 20 is getting old though. It was fun to see your pictures!

TheMomsGroup.com said...

I have a 11yr old Basset and I just posted a question asking, how did your child deal with the death of a pet? My basset (Dixie) got very sick one day, luckily she pulled through. But, it did start to concern me about how to deal with this subject when it happens. There is only a little over a yrs. difference between Dixie and my daughter.My daughter see's her a a sibling.

Anonymous said...

Oh Carla I am so sorry! I love all the pictures of the dogs. I went through this also a long time ago with our family dog, she was with me from 4th grade to college and one day I came home and she was gone! My grandparents let me know that she had passes on, she was sick she couldnt walk up and down the steps anymore, just not her self so I know how you feel!

Susan said...

I had to come and read once I got your note yesterday. It's like fate! Here we are considering a pup and you are losing such a special and beautiful one.
My gf lost her own Lola just a few weeks ago.
It's so sad. I don't know how I would handle it. Hang in there!

Anna Garcia said...

Wow , What A Sad Story . But She Will Go to Dog Heaven. Anna

CrazyNutsMom said...

So sorry for your families loss. Pets do add a little something to your lives.

Quirky Homemaker said...

Sorry for your loss, Carla. RIP Lola. . . . hope you're having a great time running and playing with your other friends in heaven!

Crazed in the Kitchen said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Carla. I lost a beloved cat recently, and it's been tough to adjust to not having him around the house. Give yourself time to grieve--try to take care of you.