Friday, September 21, 2012

Day 471 ~ Caring is Volunteering

WoW!  What a grEat a day!!  

I ended up volunteering at my daughter's school all day... and it was AWESOME!

It was picture day... and having worked at a school before, I know how hectic that can be.  

SOoo after dropping Calley off and I finishing my volunteering for student arrival [I help watching the kids... keep a watchful eye; make sure they play nice; and no one gets hurt on the play ground before school]... I was asked by the office and I asked if they needed an extra hand with school pictures.  You know, helping call the class rooms, entertain the kids while they were waiting so they wouldn't get bored and assist the photographer calling classes.


Next thing I knew... it was 2:00 and dismissal time for Calley! 

Calley came running to me at the end of the day.  "Mommy, mommy... I saw you earlier.. YOU WERE A HERE ALL DAY!"  It was such a sweet moment.

I missed out on my sons growing up and volunteering when they were in school.  At the time it was a great disappointment to me because not only would I have been able to watch them from afar but I would have been there for them more.  With all that was going on {at the time}, I did volunteer as much as I was able to yet not as much as I wanted to.    

There is something to be said about being involved in your child's life... helping at their school.    Helping those who are educating your children.  You get to know the staff.  You get to know the kids.  {and} Best of all... you get to know the parents.  

By volunteering and involving myself, I get to protect my daughter all the while witnessing her grow into a beautiful person from a near distance.  
If you have the gift of speaking, preach God’s message. If you have the gift of helping others, do it with the strength that God supplies. Everything should be done in a way that will bring honor to God because of Jesus Christ, who is glorious and powerful forever. Amen.  ~1 Peter 4:11
[here's to you finding your... ]

Peace...


I am second..

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  

Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Took It... Making It... Living It... My Life .  © 2012  U.S Copyright Laws apply.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your post. I'm in the situation right now of being in school full time and missing most of my kids' field trips and outings. It's hard to miss so much, but like you, I know at some point I'll be in the position to volunteer more with their school activities. It's great that you're taking the opportunity now that you have it!

Unknown said...

All day? Okay that is definitely Mom of the Year material!

Unknown said...

Isn't great to know that your kids actually like you to be at school and not be embarrassed by it. I'm sure it was fun to help out. Kids remember when parents are involved in their schools. Awesome for you :)

mail4rosey said...

The kids love it SO much when you volunteer! Even when they're in middle and high school they get a big kick out of it.

Glad you had fun!

Michelle said...

I spent my sons elementary years living there. I loved every minute of it and even did substitute teaching at his school. I heart volunteering too.

Quirky Homemaker said...

I was just thinking about how I feel like I have less involvement now. I signed up to help out at Jaycee's school, but haven't heard anything yet. I did sight word testing at Logan's school last year, and loved getting to know his classmates, b/c then when he told me stories I knew exactly who he was talking about. There is hardly any call for help in the 2nd grade though. So, I miss that. It's just all PTA stuff now.

Unknown said...

Good for you to be involved! I always volunteered on the field trips, and always really enjoyed myself. It's so worth it:)