Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 305 ~ As an After Thought for "G"

I've been noticing lately that after a certain hour and after having sat in front of a computer screen for hours, my eyes, ... well let's just say that aren't what they used to be.  

It all starts with my rubbing my eyes, which in turn gets them a little watery.  Next thing I notice... HOLY COW! My eyes are barely open!  OPEN YOUR EYES, I tell myself.  I seriously notice a huge difference.. they were like slits!  How can anyone possibly see out!  Really!  Then... the BLURRRR sets in..  I start seeing ddoouubbllee.  YYoouu tthhiinnkk tthhiiss iiss aannnnooyyiinngg...... hhooww ddoo yyoouu tthhiinnkk II ffeeeell????  Okay .. I'll stop.. LOL!!  Not but seriously, this aging thing SUCKS!!

So by this time, I am seriously thinking..How much more do I need to finish tonight's post? Good, I am more or less done.  

Now, I go back and start reading my post over, checking my spelling, going over my grammar, making sure one last time everything makes sense.  As I finish a paragraph, I move on to the next and so on until I am done.  Once finished, I do one final read... just to make sure.  

You, would think that should do it.  Apparently not last night!

Next day, I always do a read over before I go on and start my next post...


HOLY CRAP!!  What the heck was up with my eyes last night?!  I know I did my final editing.  WTF! Are my eyes that bad?  How did I not notice all those errors?  Were  my eyes that tired?  I left out words... repeated myself... how embarrassing...  Needless to say, I corrected my errors.  Lord, I hope I caught all of them!  LOL!!

I am not convinced as to whether or not chat slang, online acronyms, text shorthand, email and instant message lingo... whatever you want to call it... is accepted or not in today's writing. 
Sometimes I think that grammar and spelling (for sure) should be respected.  Keep our language clean, traditional... I think you get the picture.  However... sometimes... the message... or ... the feeling... the writer is trying to convey welcomes the occasional acronym or slang.  Question now is, so would you rather read that I am laughing by my stating it, or does a mere "LOL" do?.  


Here I am participating in a HUGE blog hop of sorts, Blogging from A to Z Challenge April 2012 -  1,824 Bloggers have joined in this challenge, I being one of them.  Currently l am listed at number 1,443.  I have been reading at least five to seven or so blogs per day... These bloggers are serious bloggers!  Not that I am not serious about blogging... but some of these people are published authors!  Can you believe it?  I'm in a position to be read by published authors and I had all these mistakes... CRAP!  Talk about intimidating... and facing your fears!!  Oh well, no turning back.  Might as well make the best of it and hope that if any one of them that read my blog yesterday will return to read this post.

So.. I am hoping to somewhat redeem myself today by starting a little earlier, while my sight is nice and fresh!

As an after thought... good Grammar should have been my "G" word(s).  After all... where would we as [excellent] bloggers/writers (wink, wink) be without it? 

Arguments over grammar and style are often as fierce as those over IBM versus Mac, and as fruitless as Coke versus Pepsi and boxers versus briefs.  ~Jack Lynch
Use noon and midnight rather than 12:00 P.M. and 12:00 A.M. 
Spell out single-digit whole numbers.  Use numerals for numbers greater than nine.     Examples:  I want five copies.  I want 10 copies. 


Blogging A to Z Challenge April 2012... What will "H" have for us tomorrow?

Blessings to all!!

60 days to go...

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Taking Back My Life ~ Making It My Own.  U.S Copyright laws apply.  ©

7 comments:

Czjai said...

I know the feeling, Carla! I tend to make typos and errors whenever I blog half-asleep half-awake. Lol!

But I go online right away after a few hours of rest to edit my post. I hate making grammatical blunders when I've been branded by my friends as a grammar-nazi. Hahaha!

Happy Easter, by the way! More blessings to you and your family! <3

Stacey Donaldson said...

I totally understand, I often find that I can't see errors in my post until hours later when I go back and read them again (even though I read and review them many times before posting). It's like working on a spreadsheet, after a while you are just in capable of seeing the errors and you have to step away for a while and review it later with fresh eyes.

I am plauged by this whether my eyes are tired or not! LOL I have learned to just make the corrections without beating myself up too badly for being "human."

I have visited you from voiceBoks several times and I enjoy reading your posts...every time!

Perspective Parenting said...

Good grammar is good advice. Although I tend to ignore my grammar check on the screen anyhow. Sometimes one word sentences work best and sometimes made up words are the most meaningful. :)

Unknown said...

I am absolutely amazed how much grammar has been crystalized in my head through blogging. Some rules I googled 10 times before remembering but I am learning slowly but surely. Experience really is the best teacher.

On the eyes, I am seriously hating the slow decline in my vision. Yuck on aging!:)

Andrea L. said...

Hey Carla, I just stumbled upon this OwningPink.com website today and thought of you (I'm a VoiceBoks friend). I found it when reading an article about living your authentic life on Care2: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/repressing-the-real-you-makes-you-sick-for-real.html

Interesting stuff! Hope you're having a great day!

Andrea (AmommynousBlog.tumblr.com)

Addicted to Recipes said...

Great post! And you are correct...grammar is so important! Great "G" word :-)

Unknown said...

Carla, my eyes don't catch as much either! I do the same thing. Read again in the morning before posting to be sure, and of course there is something I missed.

I think you can break some rules occasionally, that help to make your point, but you do have to respect proper grammar to have credibility.

Great post!