Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 316 ~ The Letter "Q" ...

I don't know about you, but when I would draw the letter "Q" in scrabble my mind would start to race.  Immediately my mind would draw a blank, except for the echoing of..  "Q" ...  "Q" ... As if repeating the letter over and over again in my mind would make a word pop up any faster. 

Sure anyone could come up with queen or question.  Now-a-days with Word for Friends (a trendy game app for your I-phone or a game I play on FaceBook)  I have noticed that the popular "q" word being used is qi*(pronounced chi).  Fits just about anywhere, bonus it you place it on a triple-letter or triple-word score box!
Central to Taoist world-view and practice is qi (chi). Qi is life-force -- that which animates the forms of the world. It is the vibratory nature of phenomena -- the flow and tremoring that is happening continuously at molecular, atomic and sub-atomic levels. In Japan it is called “ki,” and in India, “prana” or “shakti.” The ancient Egyptians referred to it as “ka,” and the ancient Greeks as “pneuma.” For Native Americans it is the “Great Spirit” and for Christians, the “Holy Spirit.” In Africa it’s known as “ashe” and in Hawaii as “ha” or “mana.”
In China, the understanding of qi is inherent in the very language. For instance: The literal translation of the Chinese character meaning “health” is “original qi.” The literal translation of the character for “vitality” is “high quality qi.” The literal translation of the character meaning “friendly” is “peaceful qi."  Resource: About.com
Well I am here to tell you that there is more to the letter "Q" than queen, question or qi...
quit, quiz, quad, quack, quail, quart, queer, quest, queue, quiet, quill, quirk, quite, quota, quote, quaint, quaker, quarry, queasy, quiche, quince, quinoa, quirky, quiver, qwerty, qualify, quality, quaalude, quantity, quenched...
... to name a few.  Yes, there are many, many more too.

Of course I  have heard of all of these words... Then why is it when I see the letter "Q" I instantly feel like I am going to take a test or a pop quiz?   My heart starts to speed up, my hands get sweaty and my brain starts to scramble.

What does "Q" do for you?
I think it's a lame excuse for a lot of these rappers to say they only call girls bitches or hos because they act like that. It doesn't make them right.
~Queen Latifah
Do not tell secrets to those whose faith and silence you have not already tested.~Elizabeth I
Demand no more out of your partner than what you are willing to give yourself.
~Martha Quinn

Blogging A to Z Challenge April 2012... What will "R" have for us on Monday?


49 days to go...  (OMG! Really?!)

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Taking Back My Life ~ Making It My Own.  U.S Copyright laws apply.  ©

9 comments:

nutschell said...

i love queen latifah's quote!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Happy A-Zing!

Claire Hennessy said...

Lots of great Qs there. Love the Qi word too (so funny you relate it to scrabble). What's the 49 day countdown? Will have to investigate your blog more.

ReviewsSheRote said...

"Q" for me is QUITE!!!!

Unknown said...

I cringe when I get the letter Q as well, and even more if I don't get a U soon after! Thanks for teaching me a new word today, Qi. I feel more powerful now, but for some reason think those I play with will think I'm cheating because that doesn't look like a real word!

Czjai said...

Quirky, because that's me!
You're almost through with the alphabet Carla! Can't wait to read about the rest of the letters. :)

Addicted to Recipes said...

I like Martha Quinn's quote - very true. You are getting closer to your goal - yay!

Anonymous said...

Love that you chose Queen Latifah for her chutzpah... (oh maybe I am a few days behind)and Qi for life energy!!

Unknown said...

Demand no more from your partner, luv it. And now...I have many "q's" in my head :)

Unknown said...

I like when the Brits use queue all of the time...good word, and I've recently deemed myself Queen of Nursing Covers...hee hee!;)