Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 313 ~ "N" is for NO

"N" is for No.   That's right.  I said no.  

How many times have we heard this little word in such a BIG way?  

There were times in my life that I was devastated by its simple sound... especially when I couldn't get that new dress, sleepover a friend's house, let alone when I couldn't go see "that" boy I really liked.

no.  No.  NO.  No way.  Not a chance.  Heck no.  Hell  no.  What part of no do you not understand? The "n" or the "o"?  No, no, no, no, no!


I see it in my daughter Calley (5-1/2) when I say no to her, she cries and behaves as if her world is coming to an end.  This is over watching tv or getting a sweet.  I can not even begin to imagine what she will be like when she's 16 and I say no.  LOL!  I think I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

As I grew older, the stakes grew higher.  Not getting into that "perfect" school, or I didn't get the "perfect" job, or the so called "perfect" guy ( which, by the way I am totally over it now).

I don't know about you, but I heard it plenty.  Even so, I survived.

I learned in early in life that I was a people please-er, and I did it to be liked.  Even though I would have prior personal commitments or plans, if someone needed some help, a hand or anything done... I was the sucker to ask.  LOL! 

There were plenty of times I would find myself scrambling to get everything done, often doing for others before taking care of myself.  Until came the day that my brother said, "it's okay to say no."  Scratching my head, I repeated... "It's okay to say no?  It's okay to say no.  It's okay to say, No." 

Funny... even with my hearing it almost on a daily basis, why was I not able to say no when deemed?

I don't know about you, but not being able to say no at times has put me in some tight predicaments.  SO much so, that I had to train myself by saying, "it's okay to say no" over and over again.

What a revelation!  I jumped on the band wagon right away.  Prioritizing, evaluating and helping others more on my terms.  I still have a hard time saying no, but when I do manage to stick to my guns... I feel fine!  By saying no the world is not coming to an end nor is the sky falling because of it... and people do like me.  (at least those who matter!).
Did you know that "No" is a complete sentence?   No.  It is.


Blogging A to Z Challenge April 2012... What will "O" have for us tomorrow?


Blessings to all!!

52 days to go...  (This is starting to become bitter-sweet)

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Taking Back My Life ~ Making It My Own.  U.S Copyright laws apply.  ©



11 comments:

Jinnia Low said...

I love this. "It's okay to say no." What a simple and great reminder. Thanks for sharing- and yes it was hard for me to start saying no to stuff too. Isn't it nice, "no" is not the end of true friendship?

Claire Hennessy said...

What a great post. I love this. I am a massive people pleaser but have been practicing saying NO for about a year - wow, what a difference it has made. Fab. I love the saying "No is a complete sentence". Thanks for popping by my blog :)

Tracy Balderach said...

I have found that times I have said no and then explained my reasoning on not being able to commit, other people truly appreciated the honesty. If I can't do it 100%, then I can't do it all and there are times I am juggling way too much. It's liberating, isn't it? Great idea for your blog. I have really enjoyed browsing through! I'll certainly be back. Found you through VB!
Tracy

Mommy's Juice said...

It is a hard word to say. And yet one of the first words my boys learned! Stopping by from VB.

Anonymous said...

I have started to say NO because I will ware myself out trying to please everyone. So NO is a good word, when its said in a nice way! Love all your posts Carla.

Life by Cynthia said...

In reading your post I keep hearing my toddler's little voice saying NO. He is almost 2 and loves to say NO.

Czjai said...

Oh my, I missed a lot over the weekend! You're already at letter 'N'!

It's nice to be back on your blog, Carla. It's been a crazy weekend, and mornings are hella crazier now that the little man is starting with his summer school. I have to get him out of bed by 6:30 am for his class at 8:30am. So far, we haven't arrived on time. Hahahaha!

Pepper said...

No: it's a word I hate saying just as much as I hate hearing. But as you said, sometimes we have to say No... and that it's perfectly ok to do so. Certain situations do call for it. It does take a lot of courage to say it.

susan jakovina said...

I didn't know that no was a complete sentence! Good to know since I use it a lot. ;)

Unknown said...

Love this post! Thanks for the reminder. :D

Raine said...

I am all about saying "no". I've often thought about teaching a class on how to say no :)