Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 327 ~ "Z" Zealous Finale

The last letter of the alphabet is "Z" and here I've reached the final day of my Blogging A to Z Challenge April 2012.  

I did it!! ... and this is my zealous finale to my challenge!!  (gee, I hope I'm using "zealous" in the right context. lol)



I must be forthright.  Honestly, this was a great challenge. I loved it! However to call it a challenge is not quite what I would call it, only because I enjoyed it too much.  


A challenge is to arouse or stimulate especially by presenting with difficulties.  Okay, so I may have had to scratch my head on a few letters, I'll give you that.  

This challenge did add a few more words to my vocabulary...   But difficult, no.  (Big Smile)

I don't know what got into me, but all of a sudden I thought it would be interesting to see what I can find out about the letter "Z".
  • "Z" is the 26th letter of our alphabet (also known as the Roman Alphabet)
  • "Z" is referred to as Zed in England
  • In mathematics, The letter "Z" designates the set of integer numbers, which contains positive and negative elements. Z = {... , -n ,.... ,-4 ,-3 ,-2 ,-1 ,0 ,1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ,... ,n, .......}
  • ZZZ (or z-z-z-z) is sound of snoring, traced back to at least 1918.  (Sometimes "a tiny saw cutting through a log" [1948] would be used, and both the snore and saw would make the same z-z-z-z sound.) 
  • "Z" not a native letter in Old English; in Anglo-French words it represents the "ts" sound (cf. Anglo-Fr. fiz, from L. filius, modern Fitz); from late 13c. it began to be used for the voiced "s" sound and had fully taken that role by 1400. 
  • "Z" was referred ti as zed c.1400, from M.Fr. zede, from L.L.  zeta, from Gk. zeta, from Heb. zayin, letter name, lit. "weapon;" so called in allusion to the shape of this letter in ancient Hebrew. U.S. pronunciation zee is first attested 1670s. Other dialectal names for the letter are izzard, ezod, uzzard, and zod.

SO, do you know what I am going to do now?  wink, wink  I'm going to look for a new challenge.  {Big Smile}

 Zeal is a volcano, the peak of which the grass of indecisiveness does not grow. ~Kahlil Gibran
Zeal without knowledge is fire without light.   ~Thomas Fuller


Blessings,


38 days to go...  

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Taking Back My Life ~ Making It My Own.  U.S Copyright laws apply.  © 2012

12 comments:

icedgurl said...

trekking your blog!!! nice! memory-refreshing ideas.

cheers!
..TREK..

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your next challenge! This one was so fun. You know, my husband laughs at me because I say "zed" (a habit from living in the UK) and nobody can understand when I am spelling something here.

Dominique Goh said...

COngrads on completing the challenge.

Erin said...

Congrats for making it through the challenge and finding it so enjoyable! I can't wait to see what you do next! Who knows what surprises are in store for you!
Blessings!
~Erin

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!...how about making your next project about writing about the stars in the sky. Not only is it a heavenly topic...it's endless!

ReviewsSheRote said...

I love the quote from Thomas Fuller
cannot wait to see what the next challange you take on will be!!

Heather said...

Way to go! Life is nothing without challenging yourself to improve and grow and learn! You go get that next challenge and I will be back to see what's new!

Unknown said...

You did it...A-Z! I really enjoyed reading it, and Zeal is a perfect ending:)

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your support, comments and kinds words. Yay! SO happy here.... awe, the little things in life that boost self-esteem... don't you love it? ;) Can't wait to announce what's next... Blessings to you all!

Arlee Bird said...

It was a big Challenge to some. Glad you had a good time with it.


Congratulations on making it through the A to Z Challenge. Join us on May 7th with your Challenge Reflections post.

Lee
A Faraway View
An A to Z Co-host blog

Unknown said...

After Lee's comment... I think I have to expand on this... Oh my! I hope I didn't come across like a pompous a$$ lol... I certainly did not mean it that way. I am sure this was challenging to some, not everyone is a nut like me that blogs on a daily basis. Kudos to all who finished, contributed or read them. Thank you.

Arlee Bird said...

Not at all. I understand what you were saying (I think). There was a whole range of reactions to the Challenge from giving up early on or never even starting all the way through to people like you or I who can whiz through the postings fairly easily and not see any big deal and actually have fun with it. I was posting on 4 different blogs plus occasional posts on the A to Z Blog and I am sometimes amused by those who say they can't think of what to write about. I'm the opposite--I think of too much.

You did great and no need for any apologies. I certainly didn't take it in a bad way.


Lee
A Faraway View
An A to Z Co-host blog