Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 309 ~ "K" is for Kismet

"K" is for Kismet.  Kismet?  Yes, kismet.  

For those of you just now jumping on the alphabet train... okay there's no train, but the Blogging from A to Z Challenge which myself and a whopping 1,801 other bloggers are participating in.  

If you have a little extra time check the list of participants here.  I'm at 1,401.  Click on a name and read their magnificent blogs.  I am humbled to be amongst such talent!   As a side note, as bloggers drop out the total number of bloggers participating has decreased by 23 since I first posted these statistics several posts ago.  


I know, you are probably still scratching your head at Kismet.  Honestly, as I was thinking "Hmmm, the letter K is next... what should ... KISMET!  I love the sound of that word.  I wonder what it means or if it's even a word?"


Although I found this word in Mirriam-Webster, I liked the definition on Urban Dictionary best.

The word Kismet is of foreign origin and is used in Turkish, Urdu, Hindi and Arabic. In Hindi it would be pronounced more like kismat, and it means "fate" or "destiny". The meaning is exactly the same in English. So instead of saying, "it is fate", you could say "it is kismet". 


I love it!!  "Fate" or "destiny".  Great words!  


Now do I believe in fate or destiny, or are they mere coincidences ?  


I believe in a higher power, God.  I also believe that God more or less knows in what directions we will go, however he leaves the choices to us.  Hopefully we will make good choices and stay away from the proverbial "apple".


With that said, I believe it is fate.  Coincidences makes everything seem less personal... less kismet if you know what I mean...  as if God doesn't have a hand in it all.  Which is against all that I believe it.   SOooo... therefore... it is fate... it is destiny... It is kismet.
Fate chooses our relatives, we choose our friends.
 ~Jacques Delille


Blogging A to Z Challenge April 2012... What will "L" have for us tomorrow?

Blessings to all!!

56 days to go...

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Taking Back My Life ~ Making It My Own.  U.S Copyright laws apply.  ©

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Hi Carla, I too believe that things are less coincidental and more kismet. ;) I believe we have the power to make our choices, but God allows things to influence us in the choices we make. He works everything together to bring us to our destiny.

Andrea Boring said...

Good morning! Found you through voiceboks and was happy to discover that you are in the A to Z challenge also.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me on this one. I believe in fate and am a full on devout Catholic. Figure that out :)

xoxo
Andrea
http://twins-happen.com

ReviewsSheRote said...

what a great K word---I too herd it once or twice and never really knew the meaning.

Unknown said...

As always I LOVE getting comments!!! As I read the three of your just now.. chills overtook my body! Forget antidepressants (which I stopped taking before we tried for Calley).. just read comments and presto WHAM-O!! Thank you... Courtney, Pamela and Andrea. Your words are uplifting and touch my heart each time!! Blessings

Mommy J said...

I never realized that there was an actual meaning to Kismet, I always think of the musical (which I actually have not seen). A great idea to ponder. Thanks!

Stopping by from voiceboks!

Mommy J
http://mommiesbeingmommies.blogspot.com