Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 314 ~ "O" is for ...

Wait for it... wait for it... Oprah!  At first, I thought I was all set-- I thought I had chosen the perfect words... OpportunityOptions and Optimism.  However, after having most of the day to think about where I was going to go with one or all of the words, I turned on Oprah's Lifeclass [for the millionth time] and BAM!  

"Oprah has those three words covered!"  I said to myself.

I immediately remembered a conversation I had last week with another mom at Calley's swimming lessons.  We hit it off!  We covered a lot "territory" in a 45 minute span, as we sat watching our daughters taking their swim class.  


We spoke of cooking, relationships, to Madea's Family Reunion.  (Which by the way, any woman in a bad relationship should watch this movie.  or any woman that is in a relationship or will be in the future!  lol!!)  The mom I was talking to was a beautiful African American woman.  She shared with me how she was brought up on the same principles that Madea shares with us in her movie.  Funny!!  

There is something about African American women.  They are tough, funny women, who (most) do not take crap from their men.  I am not talking about Niki Menage tough (crude and classless), I am talking about Queen Latifa (classy) tough.   As far as I am concerned, most African American women have chutzpa*!  Which I wish I had just a little more of.  wink, wink.
* A Hebrew word pronounced hutzpah, the 'c' is silent.  Chutzpah can be defined as guts, the ability to say or act in ways that may be negatively perceived and require a certain amount of bravery.

Then I said it.  "All I have to say is, Thank God for Oprah!"  As I proceeded to talk, I shared with her that Oprah has made a difference in our society.  Because of her, families today are able to speak openly about abuse, marriage, relationships, people's rights, etc. more so than ever before  Some subjects which were once found to be taboo to even speak of.  


Oprah has given us awareness, knowledge and a new sense of self.

I noticed that she was thinking... "What is this woman talking about?  Oprah has always been around."  Even so, I continued sharing without a skipping a step, with a funny look back acknowledging what she was obviously thinking, continuing with my story about  my first come across with Oprah.

It was the first time I had even heard of Oprah and there I sat pregnant, at my (thenin-laws in the mid-west;  being criticized by them for watching a show on postpartum depression [while pregnant, by a black woman no less].  Funny, I remember telling them that they were being ridiculous (in a respectful way), that I was educating myself and that "I" was in a good place.  (this was obviously years before all the crap started hitting the fan!)

This was back in 1986(Dec.).  It's now 2012.  and ... Wow!  It has been a little over 25 years and I continue to learn how to better myself and grow as a person thanks to the inspiring and motivating people and stories this woman.brings to our attention.  Currently I have been watching Oprah's lifeclass the Tour.  One word.  Amazing!

I looked at this mom that I happen to be talking to and said... "Wow. You more or less have grown up knowing of, and watching Oprah, haven't you?"  She actually laughed as she responded "yes".  

We both had a little "aha" moment there.  She realized that there was a different world before Oprah; and I realized that I had never thought that for some people Oprah has always been there for them.

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around.~

I don't think of myself as a poor deprived ghetto girl who made good. I think of myself as somebody who from an early age knew I was responsible for myself, and I had to make good.~

Follow your instincts. That's where true wisdom manifests itself.~

 ~ Oprah Winfrey quotes ~

Blogging A to Z Challenge April 2012... What will "P" have for us tomorrow?

Blessings to all!!

51 days to go...  (This is starting to become bitter-sweet)

... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  


Images are courtesy of google or Bing images.  Some images maybe labeled property of Carla Barila Karam and of this blog, Taking Back My Life ~ Making It My Own.  U.S Copyright laws apply.  ©

7 comments:

Courtney Pies said...

I love how you do a post on one letter each day! That's such a great idea!!

I'm following via Linky Followers from the group on Facebook!

Have a great day!

-Courtney
optimisticmommy.com
peaceloverecipes.com

Cheryl said...

Wow you are all the way to 'O' do you lay awake at night thinking about the different letters or do you not even go there until you get to that letter?

Andrea L. said...

Love this quote: "As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around." It's so true!

Coleen McCrea Katz said...

I have to say that, as a very white woman (if I were any whiter I would be clear), Oprah had a very deep impact on my life as well. I watched her show religiously. She spoke to me as a mother even though she chose not to be a mom. She spoke to me as a woman who stayed at home to raise children even though she was a career woman. And, while I did not see this coming down the road, she prepared me for my biracial son-in-law when he joined our family. We welcomed him with open arms and hearts.

Anonymous said...

Oprah rocks doesn't she?? And I agree, there is something in the African American DNA you just have to respect! They struggle but they survive and offer so much wisdom! Hello Maya Angelou! Great post that covers all your other words too!

Anonymous said...

Wow you are on O already.. love all your posts, and you come up with the right word everyday!!

Czjai said...

Oprah has definitely raised the standard of talk shows. Not only does she talks the talk, but also because she walks the walk.

Women (and even men) who practice what they preach get my full respect. Because there's nothing more annoying than people who say one thing and do another.

Have a great day, Carla! Kisses! <3