Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 277 ~ From Tickle Monster to Sick Bug

Phew!  What a day! 

I don't know about you, but spring forward always has a lazy affect in my household.  There's something about loosing that one hour ... funny how it can throws your entire day off.  Oh, you can prepare for it all you want... still... same result.

Even so, our morning was a great one.  Didn't get to church as planned, but we soon moved on with our day.  Then... before we knew it the "tickle monster" got out of his cage and went hog wild!  It was so cute too.  What started out so innocently turned out to be the full blown tickle attack of the century.  Oh and Calley... she loved it!  She goes as far as coming up to you, raising up her shirt and then asks you if you want a "rib sandwich".

It seemed that as quickly as my walking out and back into the room, the mood changed.  Seriously, I think I went to make my bed and went back out to the living room... and that was it.  Okay, so maybe I was gone a good twenty minutes.  The "tickle monster" was back in his cage and all was mellow now.  Out of the blue, we noticed Calley had curled up into a little ball on the couch, all snuggled up in her blanky and said she wanted to go to sleep.  Calley never naps!  Something is wrong.  I quickly turned to Dean and asked him what happened... what would normally not be accepted as an answer, the shrugging of his shoulders seemed the most appropriate answer. 

At a drop of a hat, all plans were modified to keep Calley home.  We had discovered she was running 101.8 (f) degree temperature.  Arg!  Now what?  Okay, immediately I found myself thinking... no cough, slight runny nose (clear mucous), started complaining about her stomach aching, then this evening complained about her throat for a little bit.

Her temperature, or other symptoms were not serious enough to take her to the after-hours doctor office, especially since I have been able to control her temperature with children's tylenol.  However, if in the morning she still has a temperature, it's back to the doctor's office... again... for the forth time since the beginning of the year!

Well one thing is for sure... this time last year Calley had been sick so much, much more.  So I do have that to be grateful for.  The other thing that bums me out is that just as she was getting good at her gymnastics class, Calley gets sick and has missed three weeks.  Big sad face.

Seems like all of Calley's health issues have been due to allergies, or at least that is what we are told... which then in turn affects her lungs and gives her asthma... she'll get bronchitis, or not... then the doctor's will normally check for flu (during flu season) or other seasonal illnesses, however this one always gets me because Calley is not in school and is not exposed to as many germs, but whatever... if she runs a fever, they give her an antibiotic... if she's coughing, she's back on breathing treatments with the nebulizer...  if she has a runny nose and boogers are green, it runs its course; if boogers are clear, antihistamine. 

I take care of Calley's diet.  Making sure she gets the additional dietary supplements, not because she does not eat well, but to give her added boosts to her immune system.  This girl eats any vegetable you can think of, will eat chicken, turkey she'll take it or leave it, and red meat, well we don't eat it too much.

So once again, you question the ability of being a good mom when your child gets sick.  You wonder what you did wrong.  I even joke about getting her a bubble and calling her the little girl in the bubble.  My in laws constantly tell me what a great mom I am, as does Dean... however, when your baby constantly gets sick and you really don't have any new answers other than the proverbial "allergies"... well, let's just say it all gets to you.

Sometimes I am told that Calley will outgrow these darn "allergies"... but then I wonder how fair is it to her to have to go through it all, for her to eventually, possibly, outgrow the "allergies".  I definitely do not want her to miss any school next year... so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.    

Meanwhile I will continue to be the best mom that I know I can be!

A mother's love is instinctual, unconditional, and forever.  - unknown
A mother loves her children even when they least deserve to be loved.  
- Kate Samperi
 
Mother's love is peace.  It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.  ~
 Erich Fromm
 

Blessings to all!!

88 days to go...

PS... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  

Some images courtesy of google and bing images.  U.S Copyright laws may apply.  ©

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry your little one is sick!! I hope she gets better and let me tell you, little ones are little sponges for getting sick, aren't they?

Leigh @ OneandOneEqualsTwinFun said...

I loved the quotes at the end about unconditional motherly love - that's just the way it should be! DOn't beat yourself up about her being sick - like you say, last year was much worse. That's a lot to be thankful for. Hope she gets better quickly! I just took my little ones temp because he was acting funky...99.6 :( COuld be worse though. xoxo
Leigh @oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

Pepper said...

Nobody else can be a better mom for Calley than you, remember that. I guess it's normal that we moms are too critical of ourselves, that we blame everything on us. Sometimes we forget that we are human... our kids are human. We are flawed, but we rise above our mistakes.