Friday, March 16, 2012

Day 282 ~ Social Networking Has Its Good Side

After the last few days I have had, today was for recuperation, realization, relaxation and rejuvenation!  For some reason I found that funny!  Oh how do I come up with these things!  

If you saw my day, you'd probably laugh too.  

Actually, it wasn't bad.  As I mentioned last night... I have received quite a few comments in the past few days.  Having said that... I am surrounded not only by some amazing role models, but some amazing friends.  Most of which I have met online.

My darling mother in law, or mom as I affectionately call her... made a derogatory remark to someone we were talking to regarding facebook, blogging and social networks in general.  I was in shock to say the least, yet we were not in a position to talk about it.  Boy, if she only knew how many social networks I belong too, she would probably shake her head at me.  :)   

[as a side note, growing up when my father went through wives numbers two, three and four, I was NEVER able to call any of them mom.  I tried once and felt uncomfortable, rather forced...I have never felt so comfortable calling anyone mom.]

In all my years in the computer industry, decades really, on more than one occasion I have come across people who do not like computers, change or modern technology in general.  Some people just do not like change and do not trust the internet, not to mention that they also think that computers are smarter than people.  Well maybe in some cases!  haha  Actually, they are not!  People made computers and can control them.

Anyways... I have shared with my mom how I feel about blogging and what it has done for me.  Not to mention all the friends I have rekindled relationships with, as well as my family in other continents that I am able to communicate like never in my life!  Then there are the new friends I have made.

Don't get me wrong.. if anyone understands internet safety, it's me.  It hasn't been until recently that I have really put myself out there and it is to promote my blogs.  

The point I want to make is that I have met some quality people online.  I have met great new friends and have developed bonds with them. Granted you just don't start chatting with just anyone... it just sort of happens as time goes by.

My friend I spoke to you about last night... I met her on Farm Town a game app on facebook, a couple of years ago.  Granted we have chatted off and on during this time, however it really wasn't until yesterday that we became even closer.  Bare in mind that our relationship has developed over time... and I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

The younger generation hasn't benefited from facebook like myself (just had my 30th high school reunion last summer), or someone that been out of school or out of touch for some time.  For example my younger sister in law and two brother in laws, two of their ten year reunions are coming up and facebook has been open to the public for at least six of those years... therefore they didn't even get a chance to miss their friends.

Don't get me wrong... history shows that facebook is notorious for changing security settings without letting their users know... I have made it a habit to check my settings every other week or so.  And there are WACKOS out there... I try to take precautions, especially with my blogs.

So to my online family and friends on facebook and voiceBoks... thank you for your inspiring, motivating and encouraging words.  I take all your comments to heart and heavy thought.  I can't tell you how much your words continue to hug and help me.  My Dream Team continues to grow and get stronger!  

Not that I did not appreciate all my comments equally, because I did... but these really stuck in my mind and have been following me around for the past few days...
I used to have a poster in my counseling office (for me and the kids) that said "what would you do if you knew you would not fail?" Maybe your birthday present to yourself could be answering that very question. on Day 279 ~ Something's Gotta Give   Left by Perspective Parenting
Hang in there Carla! I guess this is just one of those 'emo moments'... Don't worry, you'll get your groove back. I know you will! :) on Day 280 ~ No Sugar Coating Here!   Left by Czjai Reyes-Ocampo
Hang in there xoxox One thing that we can be sure of is change - nothing stays the same. Things might be rough now but there is some sun shine waiting for you around the corner. Continue to be a good role model to your kids and a wonderful friend to others, but remember to take time for yourself to recharge xoxo Leigh @oneandoneequalstwinfun.com on Day 281 ~ Doing Our Share
As simple as these words may come across to some of you, to me... they have me looking at the light of the end of the tunnel.  By the way, these ladies are great bloggers... if you have a chance take a moment, click on the links and visit their amazing blogs!  When I read the quote "what would you do if you knew you would not fail?" three days ago... well let's just say I have been nusy thinking!

What would you do if you knew you would not fail?   Robert H. Schuller  

Dedicated to all my friends, My Dream Team.  Thank  you for all your heartfelt words.

Blessings to all!!

83 days to go...

PS... for a, l & c.  You are my sunshine(s).  

Some images courtesy of google and bing images.  U.S Copyright laws may apply.  ©

12 comments:

Suzy said...

Awesome post Carla. I have also made so many wonderful friends through social networking sites and re-connected with so many long lost friends.
Enjoy your day.

Kenya G. Johnson said...

I definitely tip toed unto the SN scene. I was so scared of really getting out here for fear of somebody really hurting my feelings. Fellow bloggers have been some of the most wonderful people I have met and I have gained some real friends (whom I've never met) in the process. Isn't it a great feeling? I love the reference to your "Dream Team".

Czjai said...

Awww... I'm really, really touched by this, Carla. Just so you know, I'm a big crybaby and I can feel the tears brimming in my eyes as a write.

Thank you, for being one of the wonderful people that have made my blogging comeback more meaningful. Truly, the most amazing support group I've ever had is my vB family.

Cheers to us! :)

Unknown said...

Kenya... I consider you one of those friends I have YET to meet... One day I feel it that we will!! I can't tell wnough what your words mean to me. Blessings.

Unknown said...

Oh my dear... No thanks required... If anything I need to be thanking you! You definitely struck a (good) nerve when you said I needed to get my groove on. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!! Thank you for being a friend! Blessings!

Unknown said...

Thank you Suzy!! Thank you for following, reading, and best of all... thank you for commenting!!! Blessings!

Big Apple Mami said...

you're right, there definitely is a good place for it! saying hi from vb

Unknown said...

Carla we are around the same age and I came to blogging and social networking very late in the game, but have found it to be such a fun way to connect to other great women. I have been amazed at how many really great people I have met. I agree, you do have to be careful, and that it does take time to find and develop online friendships just like it does off line. Sometimes we just have to walk through the muck to get to the good stuff. I think of this all the time when something very large is looming. There are some things that the only way past them is to go through them. Sending much love! I happen to enjoy all the blogs and bloggers you happened to mention too!! You are pretty awesome yourself!! xo

Unknown said...

Kathy... you yourself are amazing too!! Believe me you... you are definitely on My Dream Team!!! Thank you for always saying the right thing! Blessings!

Ang said...

That's just tremendous! Like you, I have met some fabulous people (such as yourself) online--and that works for me, since I not only am a SAHM, but I also just recently moved back to the US after being overseas for 30 years. (I went when I was a little kid, so never really knew what it was like to live here). I left all my friends behind, so it has been awesome getting to know all you amazing mothers/bloggers--"Dream Team" is a good description!

Unknown said...

Ang... I truly feel blessed to have met you!! You bring me new motivation and inspiration to my life!! Bless you!!

Misadventures in Motherhood said...

Well, this totally made me smile! You know, my husband still says the word "Facebook" with disdain...as in.. "Oh, you're FACEBOOKING again, are you?" But he has no interest in social networking and therefore has no concept of the meaningful relationships that can form online.

People who don't blog and share their lives with others online just don't understand the honest support, real friendships, and genuine bonds that can form. I'm so happy that you've found such a wonderful group of supportive friends!

Have a wonderful week, hon!
Smiles, Jenn @Misadventures in Motherhood