Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 83 ~ Nana's Better Now

Our last Easter with Nana.
Nana, Gene (mom) and Calley.
The last couple of days have been a whirlwind of sorts.  It is mind blowing when you start putting together everything that needs to be taken care of when a family member passes away.

One of the things needed to be done on my list, which with all honesty, Dean and I had not really talked about was telling Calley.  You think that with all three of Dean's grandmothers being in ailing health, two of them living here in town, we would have touched the subject.  

The last time we had seen Nana was for our family Father's day outing in June... and since then, she's been in and out of the hospital.  Finally arrangements were once again being made for her return to her home... she was happy to know that once again she could be with her animals, especially Pixie, her dog.  Nana had decided a while back that she did not want to pass away in the hospital.

Nana had been back home just a few days by the time that Dean, Calley and I were able to visit.  However, as great as all that was, we were being told that her body was beginning to shut down.  With all that going on, she may have not said anything, but Nana acknowledged that we were  all there.  I am so happy that we were able to tell her we loved her, and say good bye. 

My wish on Saturday was to fill the house with joy and laughter so that mom's last memories of Nana's home, with Nana there would not be somber ones.

Throughout it all Calley knew Nana was not doing well and that we were there for mom (grandma).  We did ask her that there was no yelling, screaming or running around.  

There were a few times that mom and I were deep in conversation and I lost track of Calley... when she appeared she told us she had been in Nana 's room.  "Calley!", we both exclaimed!  Calley immediately replied, "I was just giving Nana kisses and hugs.."   Calley truly touched my heart.

When Sunday rolled around, once again we were going to head over to Nana's.   While on our way, mom called me... "Calley can't come. Nana is worse, and we don't think she's going to make it .."  As I hung up with mom and my heart sank.

Needless to say I had to bribe Calley with all sort of things after I finished telling her that she and daddy had to stay at grandma and grandpa's house while I went to help with Nana.

At the end of the day and after being so worried about how Calley would react... after we told  her that Nana has gone to be with Jesus... she said "I understand mommy... Nana's better now."   I left it alone and walked away scratching my head.

Our death is not an end if we can live on in our children and the younger generation.  For they are us, our bodies are only wilted leaves on the tree of life.  ~Albert Einstein


As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death.  ~Leonardo da Vinci

Blessings to all!



282 days to go


All contents herein are protected under Copyright laws and can not be used, altered or copied. All accounts herein are written by Cali-Gal/Carla B Karam and are true accounts of her life. Some names may be changed to protect the innocent.

No comments: