Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 226 ~ Friends, Family You Choose

When I was eighteen years old, my life was undergoing so many uncertainties.  First off I was coming out into my own, I had a marriage proposal on the table, and decisions to make.  As I look back on that time of my life... something that was not apparent or appreciated at the time...  the fact that I had my entire life ahead of me.

It has often been said that "youth is wasted on the young" ~George Bernard Shaw, and quite honestly I could not agree more..  

Sitting here some thirty years later, as it has been said, just as often... I wish I knew then what I know now.  Funny, huh?  

What's even more funnier is my jumping at any chance to give someone younger than myself, advice.  

I just want to hear one day that my words, or advice, has helped someone.  That would sincerely give me joy.  To be able to save someone, or give them advice that saves them time and grief, will help me feel that I have made a difference.

circa 1988
Sooo... what prompts me to write about this time in my life?  Tonight, I had the absolute pleasure of catching up with a very good friend.  More like a sister.  We met back when I was eighteen, when we were dating guys who were really good friends.  I am blessed to say, that today, we are still good friends.  

Teresa and I
Seems like ever since Teresa and I met... well, we have been awesome friends ever since.  There may have been times that we did not hear from one another, months and at times years... yet as soon as we did, we picked up where we left off.

I must say, that even though I went through all my heart aches all alone... Teresa has been by my side all the way .. I truly feel blessed that I can still call her my friend.  

Tonight I am reminded that my Lord, Jesus, is really watching out for me.  He has systematically placed some wonderful people in my life.  My Dream Team.  And, what is best above all is that  I see it, I am aware of it, I am living it, and I am blessed!

Thank you Jesus!  I know that I am thankful to you, for who I have in my life.. 

To have a friend and be a friend Is what makes life worthwhile.  ~Unknown Author
Your friend is that (wo)man who knows all about you, and still likes you.  ~Elbert Hubbard 
Friends are family you choose for yourself.  ~Author Unknown 
Blessings to all!!

139 days to go...

PS... Sons, I love and miss you.  To the moon and stars above and back.  You are my sunshine(s).

Images are courtesy of Bing images.

No comments: